Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I'm Still In Afghanistan

Stop telling me how close it's getting till I come home!  Stop trying to get me to count down the days.  I will not do it.  I'm quickly growing tired of everyone saying how close I am to going home.  It's almost as if it's said to comfort or reassure me.  I need neither comfort nor reassurance.  All I need to do is stay focused on the fact that I am still in Afghanistan and I have a job to do.  When it comes time to leave, I will leave this place and attempt to think of it no longer.  I will cherish the first embraces and kisses of my wife and children, as well as the rest of my family and friends, when that time comes.  (No Benjamin, Donny, or Keith, do not expect a kiss from me.  A bro-hug for sure, but no kiss.)

It's almost ridiculous to think about...you're telling me that I'm almost there, that I'm so close, but in reality I'm still 7,000 miles away from home, in Afghanistan!

You try it and see how close to home you feel.

2 comments: